Student accommodation in Canada


In Canada, international students have a broad range of options for accommodation, from flatshare to campus residences, and from studios to homestays. This guide will help international students to choose the right accommodation in Canada.

On-campus accommodation in Canada

Most universities and colleges in Canada provide residences for students, specifically students of first year. On-campus accommodation can be an excellent option for foreign students, as the office work involved in organizing your sublet from overseas can be handled easily. By leasing on-campus student accommodation, which usually comes furnished, you will have anywhere to call home as early as you reach. Rent may frequently be less than the alternatives, and residences are normally advantageously located so you can reach that 8:30 a.m. class punctually.

A lot of on-campus residences have eatery, and rent may comprise a meal plan. Apart from these abstractions, the characteristics of residences can change greatly between – and right inside – institutions, providing a range of choices to fit various lifestyles. Every institution’s website will provide a general idea of their residences, comprising photos and virtual tours and expressions from students, so there is a bunch of information out there to assist you choose.

Renting off-campus

Few institutions provide student accommodation beside the first year, but many students choose ‘off-campus’ accommodation nearby. Apartment chasing can give a thrilling chance to find a new neighborhood, know new people, and discover a place to settle that feels like home, so cuddle the chance. To find an apartment off-campus may be challenging, but a pleasing one.

The rental markets of Canadian cities are typically busy, and listings pop up routinely. In most cases, demand and supply varies with seasons, with summer mostly witnessing higher demand. Small localities may have a quite limited market, but if you are living in a college or university town, however tiny, it can be fictitious that places will rise for rent as other students graduate or leave. Most universities and colleges advise students and have listings of their own to get in contact with the student housing if you have questions.


Subletting is a picky arrangement by which a tenant takes over for a short time from a tenant named on the sublet for a residence. It is normal among students, notably when a student leaves or graduates while their lease is still in operation. Subletting leases occur, although these plans are normally casual.

Sometimes, international students in Canada generally find themselves leasing with flatmates, as it is affordable to split rent and bills and can be smashing fun simultaneously. Just be careful that you talk with your roommates about habits and lifestyle before you live together – bear in mind, as with any relationship, communication is essential.

If you are looking for a place before arriving in Canada, it’s noteworthy that rentals in Canada sometimes take place through private landowners, instead of agencies. This can be hard to manage from abroad. 

Landlords are perhaps not willing to rent their apartment to someone they haven’t met in reality, and concurrently you should take measures to make sure that any contract is lawful as sadly, fraud exists. Also, Leases can be organized pretty quickly and on short notice, so an alternative to review is to book transient accommodation in a hotel to provide you time to search for an apartment when you reach.


If you are an international student in Canada, you may also find homestay preparations with native families. These can provide an amiable and genial home away from home, also a chance to completely submerge yourself in the language and way of living in Canada. Through associations, such arrangements can be found or structured i.e. Canada Homestay Network.

Searching your new home

From advertisements on campus notice boards to online listings and social media, the key to searching the appropriate apartment for you is to know what you are hunting for. All the factors listed vary by province or by city, so you need to focus your research on your wished destination.

Sediments and references

When you sign a lease, the landowner may need you to pay rent for the first and last month and/or a security deposit. Ensure that you examine local legislation just so you do not pay more than you should, and so that you know what you can reclaim at the end of the sublet. Moreover, landlords may need a citation or a credit report to ensure that you can pay the rent. If initially it appears landlords will only receive Canadian references then don’t be disheartened– several landowners welcome foreign students, and you can also try to collaborate with Canadian flatmates if you are facing difficulty finding a place.

Make out your rights

Every Canadian province has its lawmaking covering lessee rights. Habituate yourself with this for your target province – especially as an international student. You should obtain the conditions and treatment you deserve as a tenant, and you should be certain that your landowner is meeting their duties. Also, you need to be mindful of your duties and responsibilities as a tenant.

Taxes and utilities

Normally, taxes are covered in your rent. Utilities i.e. electricity, gas, and water may or may not be involved. In case utilities are not included, you will need to establish an account with the provincial utilities provider. When you are looking at apartments, ask the landowner about these requirements.


To take out personal contents insurance is not a legal essential, but it may be a great idea to do so. The insurance policies of renters can also comprise cover for unplanned damage you cause to an estate.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here