Canada Family Immigration


The Canadian Government is firmly committed to holding families together. It allows the Canadian citizens and permanent residents to sponsor their spouse or common-law partner, dependent children and even parents and grandparents for immigration to Canada.

If successful, then the sponsored person will obtain permanent resident status, and if your relatives become permanent residents of Canada, then they can live, study and work in Canada. You can sponsor certain relatives if you are at least 18 years old and a valid citizen of Canada.

How to become a sponsor?

To immigrate as a family to Canada, it will need sponsorship. So, if you want to know how to become the sponsor, you need to check the following eligibility criteria:

  • The sponsor must be at least 18 years old.
  • The sponsor must not receive social assistance for reasons other than a disability and;
  • Must be able to provide the basic needs of any person you are sponsoring.

Who is not eligible to become a sponsor?

You are not eligible to be a sponsor of Canada Family Immigration if:

1. You are not able to pay:

  • Loan of immigration
  • Show a bond of performance
  • Show payments for family support

2. You could not provide for the basic needs of a relative who is previously-sponsored

3. You are under an order of removal

4. You are in a penitentiary, jail, reformatory or prison

5. You have asked for social assistance for a reason other than a disability

6. You are going through the process of bankruptcy

7. You were sponsored by a spouse or partner but already became a permanent resident less than five years ago

8. You sponsored a previous spouse or partner and three years have not passed since this person became a permanent resident

9. An application is already in the process to sponsor your current spouse, partner or child. The decision on your application has not been made yet

10. You involves in a criminal activity such as violent or sexual offence or an offence

People who can get sponsorship

If you are from any of the following, you can get sponsorship.

  • Spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner
  • Dependent child (Child under 18)
  • Parents and grandparents

Note: If your child is born in Canada, then he/she does not require sponsorship. They are by law the citizens of Canada.

If you find this article useful, you may also like…

Immigration Permit Process Canada


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here