Canadian Experience Class (CEC)


The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) is an immigration pathway that allows foreigners with at least one year of work experience in Canada to permanently immigrate to the state. It is a part of the EE (Express Entry) system of Canada.

This program provides an opportunity for individuals with Canadian study or work experience to immigrate permanently to Canada. Candidates under the CEC do not need to evince proof of settlement funds. If you are an international student (already living in Canada) and plan to immigrate, then the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) will be the best option for you.

CEC is operated under the Express Entry system and rank concerned applicants through the CRS (Comprehensive Ranking System). All the successful candidates under the CEC will obtain an ITA (invitations to apply) for Canadian PR (permanent residence).

CEC benefits

There are various perks for Canadian Experience Class candidates under the Express Entry.

  • All the CEC applicants have accrued up to one year of Canadian work experience. This is a greatly appreciated element under the CRS and provides these candidates admittance to CRS points for their experience in Canada.
  • The applications of the Canadian Experience Class are processed rapidly, usually within three to four months, due to the minimal requisite documentation.
  • Canadian Experience Class candidates do not need to show evidence of settlement funds, as FSTC and FSWC candidates needs.

Please Note: Even though you are qualified to apply under the CEC (Canadian Experience Class), it cannot be guaranteed that you will obtain an ITA (invitation to apply).

Eligibility Requirements – Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

You need to fulfill the following requirements to apply for Canadian Experience Class (CEC).

  1. Must have at least one year of skilled, professional, or technical work experience in Canada within the last three years. This experience must be gained on a valid work permit and must be in one or more professions categorized as skill type 0, A, or B under the National Occupational Classification (NOC).
  2. Plan to reside outside Quebec
  3. Must fulfill the Language ability requirements. Skill abilities may include the following:
    • Reading
    • Writing
    • Speaking
    • Listening

Notably, you are not eligible to apply for a permanent residency under the Canadian Experience Class if you work:

  • Without a valid visa
  • As a self-employed
  • Within campus ( as an on-campus worker or off-campus worker)

Education requirements

For Canadian Experience Class, there are no certain education requirements. You can obtain high points under Express Entry if:

  1. You have a degree, diploma or certificate from any school in Canada.
  2. You have studied at a foreign institute.
  3. Have attained an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report from an approved agency.

Language Tests for CEC

All the candidates of CEC need to give one of the following IRCC-approved language tests:

– TEF (French)

– TCF (French)

– CELPIP-General (English)

– IELTS-General (English)

Note That: You will get extra points under the CRS, if you prove language skills in both English and French.

Steps to Apply for Canadian Experience Class

The following are the steps to obtain a permanent residency under Canadian Experience Class.

1. Obtain a Canada Work Permit

To get a work permit in Canada is a critical requirement under the CEC. For the spouse or common-law partner of a foreign student or those individuals who are eligible under the International Experience Canada (IEC) program or international worker in Canada, an open work permit may be a preference. But for others employer-specific work permit (closed work permits) will be issued.

2. Complete one year of work experience in Canada

You must have at least one year of work experience (or more for part-time employment) to get elected under the Canadian Experience Class.

3. Make sure you meet the other eligibility criteria

Clear your language test. All the candidates with proficiency in both English and French will be given extra points.

4. Create an Express Entry Profile

In this step, you need to create an Express Entry Profile by providing some personal information. When your profile gets accepted, they will notify you with a “notification of interests” to your online account.

5. Receive an invitation to apply

An ITA (invitation to apply) enables you and your family, to submit an application for Canadian PR (permanent residence). After receiving an ITA, you will have up to 60 days to submit a complete application.

Moreover, if your work permit is set to expire within the coming four months, you may also need to apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit to keep working in Canada during the remaining process.

6. Pass your medical exam and police checks, and submit an e-application

All the CEC applicants will need to show that you have finalized a medical exam with an IRCC-approved panel.

Moreover, you need to provide a police background check (police clearance certificate) from every country you have visited for at least six months after 18. The e-application you need to submit within 60 days after getting an ITA must also contain work reference letters from prior employers.

7. Your e-application is examined

After submitting an e-application, it will be reviewed by the Canadian immigration officer.

8. Get confirmation of permanent resident status

When you get approved, you will receive a COPR (confirmation of permanent residence) document.

9. Receive your Canada permanent resident card

After you obtain your COPR (confirmation of permanent residence), you can then apply for your PR card. You need to use this card as evidence of your Canadian status whenever you travel outside Canada.

Do you want to work and permanently settle in Quebec? If so, you need to apply for a Quebec Experience Class.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here